Rebuilding My PLN
In many ways I have been weaving my learning from COETAIL into my teaching practice, both as a teacher and a colleague. However, in many ways, I am not. When I come home at the end of the day, blogging, tweeting and doing all of the other things necessary to build and maintain my PLN are not on the top of my list of things to do. I’ve been working really hard to find that work/life balance, and unfortunately, my PLN is where I have dropped the ball. What I am reminded of as I sit here on this rainy, Dutch day, is that it doesn’t take that much time or effort to stay active in my PLNs, and that it is totally worth it! So, as I move forward and finish course five, I need to remind myself to carve out a few minutes each day to do just that, I know it will be worth it.
So, what have I been doing? How have I put what COETAIL has taught me into practice?
- Modeled and established a classroom community that fosters both digital face-to-face collaboration
- Set clear expectations that enable students to be responsible digital citizens
- Flipped myclassroom (to a point. This is a continuing ongoing goal).
- Began to establish PLNs within my school and use digital tools that foster collegial collaboration (also an ongoing goal).
- Maintained a small PLN, but have not been very active lately.
- Led Professional Development on Digital Collaboration, Project Based Learning and the Inquiry Cycle.
- Organized a TEDx event for students at my school. TEDxYouth@AS
What are my next steps?
- Reconnect with people in my PLNs, whether via email, twitter or a comment on their blogs, but get back in there!
- Connect with new people
How willI do this?
- Carve out time each day to read and respond to things that interest me.
- Maintain my blog, keep adding to it, and stop being afraid to share it with others.
- Reach out, find blogs I like, follow them and contribute!
Here I go…